This Page

has been moved to new address

An Obsession From The Past...

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#aba; margin:0; padding:20px 10px; text-align:center; font:x-small/1.5em "Trebuchet MS",Verdana,Arial,Sans-serif; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } /* Page Structure ----------------------------------------------- */ /* The images which help create rounded corners depend on the following widths and measurements. If you want to change these measurements, the images will also need to change. */ @media all { #content { width:740px; margin:0 auto; text-align:left; } #main { width:485px; float:left; background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:15px 0 0; padding:0 0 10px; color:#000; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } #main2 { float:left; width:100%; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 0 0; } #main3 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/rails_main.gif") repeat-y; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:240px; float:right; margin:15px 0 0; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; background:#fff; } #main2 { float:none; background:none; } #main3 { background:none; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Links ----------------------------------------------- */ a:link { color:#258; } a:visited { color:#666; } a:hover { color:#c63; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Blog Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 0; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #header div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #header { background:#456; } #header div { background:none; } } #blog-title { margin:0; padding:10px 30px 5px; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; } #blog-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#fff; } #description { margin:0; padding:5px 30px 10px; font-size:94%; line-height:1.5em; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 28px 0 43px; font-size:85%; line-height:2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#357; } .post { margin:.3em 0 25px; padding:0 13px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px 0; } .post-title { margin:0; font-size:135%; line-height:1.5em; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow.gif") no-repeat 10px .5em; display:block; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; color:#333; } a.title-link, .post-title strong { text-decoration:none; display:block; } a.title-link:hover { background-color:#ded; color:#000; } .post-body { border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; border-bottom-color:#fff; padding:10px 14px 1px 29px; } html>body .post-body { border-bottom-width:0; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { background:#ded; margin:0; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px; border-bottom:1px solid #eee; font-size:100%; line-height:1.5em; color:#666; text-align:right; } html>body p.post-footer { border-bottom-color:transparent; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ccc; } blockquote { margin:.75em 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:1px 0; padding:5px 15px; color:#666; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:-25px 13px 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:20px 0 15px 0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; padding:0 14px 2px 29px; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; font-size:120%; line-height:1.4em; color:#333; } #comments-block { margin:0 15px 0 9px; } .comment-data { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .3em; margin:.5em 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; color:#666; } .comment-poster { font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0 0 1.25em; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#666; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#666; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #profile-container { background:#cdc url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 0 15px; padding:0 0 10px; color:#345; } #profile-container h2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 15px .2em; margin:0; border-width:0; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#234; } } @media handheld { #profile-container { background:#cdc; } #profile-container h2 { background:none; } } .profile-datablock { margin:0 15px .5em; border-top:1px dotted #aba; padding-top:8px; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #fff; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } #profile-container p { margin:0 15px .5em; } #profile-container .profile-textblock { clear:left; } #profile-container a { color:#258; } .profile-link a { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_profile.gif") no-repeat 0 .1em; padding-left:15px; font-weight:bold; } ul.profile-datablock { list-style-type:none; } /* Sidebar Boxes ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .box { background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 15px; padding:10px 0 0; color:#666; } .box2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 13px 8px; } } @media handheld { .box { background:#fff; } .box2 { background:none; } } .sidebar-title { margin:0; padding:0 0 .2em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#333; } .box ul { margin:.5em 0 1.25em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; } .box ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow_sm.gif") no-repeat 2px .25em; margin:0; padding:0 0 3px 16px; margin-bottom:3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #eee; line-height:1.4em; } .box p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; margin:0; padding:15px 0 0; } @media all { #footer div { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #footer div div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #footer div { background:#456; } #footer div div { background:none; } } #footer hr {display:none;} #footer p {margin:0;} #footer a {color:#fff;} /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding:0 15px 0; }

Friday, January 6, 2012

An Obsession From The Past...

The other day Mama Kat mentioned Candace Cameron Bure on one of her tweets. Do you remember who that is? Most of us remember her in our hearts as DJ Tanner from Full House. I remember her very well because as a girl with curly hair I wanted DJ's hair so badly!

This look I could pull off
with ease

Yes, I am a bit older than she is but I still thought she was super cool! I wasn't one of the girls who bought Teen Bop magazine and had my walls plastered with posters. (Reason #1 - My mom would not allow that stuff on my walls. Reason #2 - We all know I have clutter issues. All of that stuff on the walls would send me running to therapy.) I was one of the girls that never missed a show though and read the ripped up, shredded copies of the teen magazines at my doctor or dentist's office. (I mean really, a girl has got to be on top of the teen trends at least twice a year, right?!)

So, as most girls my age were looking to more "grown up" actresses for hairstyle inspiration I was looking to DJ Tanner. I mean the girl had some curls and wasn't afraid to show them. Then she showed up one day with these wing things and long straight hair. Took my by surprised but yes, I tried it. This one wouldn't work for me. I'm sure if you ask Candace personally now, she will tell you it didn't work for her either. I can still remember the episode where she came onto the screen with her long hair chopped though. This is where I saw a bright aura surrounding her head. I was instantly obsessed with copying that super cute bob! OBSESSED!

Do you know how hard it is for a girl with hair as curly as mine to straighten hair that short?! There is not enough hair to grab with the curling iron. (History lesson here - back then, flat irons weren't on every shelf. They were a rare find and extremely expensive. Especially for a teenager who preferred to spend her money on clothes at The Limited on Outback Red.)

This super cute bob...not so much!

So, I would try to smooth my hair out with the curling iron after searing my hair with a super hot blow dryer and round boar bristle brush. (My biceps were rockin' it back in the day. They got a pretty good workout trying to recreate the DJ Tanner look.) On rare occasion, this would be a huge success and I would dodge every bit of moisture in the atmosphere to keep my hair from frizzing. On more occasion than not, that one little molecule of humidity in the air would send my hair into looking like a cross between electrocution and a groovy 70s afro. Not a good look, people. All I can say is, thank goodness those pictures were thrown out lost.  

It was all worth it though because however many years later now, I know how to straighten my hair like the top stylists who charge hundreds! I can say it is all thanks to my obsession with DJ Tanner's hair and be proud of it. You know why I am proud of it?! DJ Tanner turned out to be a pretty good character to look up to on TV and Candace Cameron Bure who played her is an even better role model in real life.

Who was your favorite character from TV when you were a tween/teenager?

To give credit where credit is due - Picture #1 comes from buddytv.com and Picture #2 comes from brunchatsaks.blogspot.com

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At January 6, 2012 at 10:04 AM , Blogger Robbie K said...

That's funny! I remember ironing my hair more than once...with an actual iron ON the ironing board.

 
At January 6, 2012 at 11:05 AM , Blogger Kim said...

I loved DJ! As the oldest of three girls I felt we had a lot in common! I remember watching the Mickey Mouse Club, back when Justin Timberlake, Brittney Spears, Ryan Gosslin and Christina Aguliera were on there. I thought they were SO cool and would have died to have one of their jackets! Funny to think about that now.

 
At January 6, 2012 at 1:11 PM , Blogger Gia said...

Clarissa. She explained it all.


Or maybe Sabrina..

 
At January 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

I could pull off that look with ease too! My hair isn't as curly as yours, but still curly and frizzy! so thankful I was a teen in the 80's when that was cool! And, Outback Red!?? I haven't thought about that in years!! I proudly owned three shirts- and the tag was outside the shirt on the back of the neck so everyone could see what you were wearing.

 
At January 6, 2012 at 1:45 PM , Blogger angela said...

I LOVED DJ. But I was the opposite; I had the straight hair and wished I could rock the long curls!

 
At January 6, 2012 at 3:13 PM , Blogger AiringMyLaundry said...

I loved Full House!!

I liked her and Stephanie because of her whole "how rude!" bit.

 
At January 6, 2012 at 5:49 PM , Blogger Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

I had all the posters on my wall! Not really posters, just magazine pages of all my favorite guys. And I had some amazing wings! Though I mostly watched Candice's brother on Growing Pains in my younger years. :)

 
At January 7, 2012 at 8:24 AM , Blogger Leigh Powell Hines said...

I was a teen in the 80s, and most of you were the 90s. For the 80's, it was Princess Diana, and then I tried to get my hair to look like Victoria Prinicpal from Dallas, and Stefanie Powers from Hart to Hart. I may have even thrown a Dynasty hairdo in there, too.

For the 90's, I was Friends, Charmed, and Sex and the City Girl.

Love your mention of the Limited, and outback red. Oh my!

 
At January 7, 2012 at 9:59 AM , Blogger Tiffany said...

I didn't watch too much Full House, but I did rock my curls for many years and then I decided that the long, curls had to go and I needed "mom hair". lol!
I did have all those Teen Beat posters though. Thanks for the reminder. :) Girls don't do that anymore, now they just check their ipod or nook and see their favorite heartthrob. I guess.

 
At January 7, 2012 at 11:41 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Love it! Ha! I'm thinking about doing a link-up really soon about hair! Your post inspired me (they always do!) :)

 
At January 9, 2012 at 4:05 PM , Anonymous OneMommy said...

I remember that show! Always a favorite when it was on!
I definitely couldn't rock curly hair - mine is stick straight and won't hold a curl for anything... My daughter on the other hand has her daddy's curly hair - I might have to ask you for styling suggestions - I'm lost when it comes to those curls!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home