This Page

has been moved to new address

This One Time, I Was Startled...

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#aba; margin:0; padding:20px 10px; text-align:center; font:x-small/1.5em "Trebuchet MS",Verdana,Arial,Sans-serif; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } /* Page Structure ----------------------------------------------- */ /* The images which help create rounded corners depend on the following widths and measurements. If you want to change these measurements, the images will also need to change. */ @media all { #content { width:740px; margin:0 auto; text-align:left; } #main { width:485px; float:left; background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:15px 0 0; padding:0 0 10px; color:#000; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } #main2 { float:left; width:100%; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 0 0; } #main3 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/rails_main.gif") repeat-y; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:240px; float:right; margin:15px 0 0; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; background:#fff; } #main2 { float:none; background:none; } #main3 { background:none; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Links ----------------------------------------------- */ a:link { color:#258; } a:visited { color:#666; } a:hover { color:#c63; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Blog Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 0; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #header div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #header { background:#456; } #header div { background:none; } } #blog-title { margin:0; padding:10px 30px 5px; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; } #blog-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#fff; } #description { margin:0; padding:5px 30px 10px; font-size:94%; line-height:1.5em; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 28px 0 43px; font-size:85%; line-height:2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#357; } .post { margin:.3em 0 25px; padding:0 13px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px 0; } .post-title { margin:0; font-size:135%; line-height:1.5em; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow.gif") no-repeat 10px .5em; display:block; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; color:#333; } a.title-link, .post-title strong { text-decoration:none; display:block; } a.title-link:hover { background-color:#ded; color:#000; } .post-body { border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; border-bottom-color:#fff; padding:10px 14px 1px 29px; } html>body .post-body { border-bottom-width:0; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { background:#ded; margin:0; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px; border-bottom:1px solid #eee; font-size:100%; line-height:1.5em; color:#666; text-align:right; } html>body p.post-footer { border-bottom-color:transparent; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ccc; } blockquote { margin:.75em 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:1px 0; padding:5px 15px; color:#666; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:-25px 13px 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:20px 0 15px 0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; padding:0 14px 2px 29px; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; font-size:120%; line-height:1.4em; color:#333; } #comments-block { margin:0 15px 0 9px; } .comment-data { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .3em; margin:.5em 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; color:#666; } .comment-poster { font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0 0 1.25em; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#666; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#666; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #profile-container { background:#cdc url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 0 15px; padding:0 0 10px; color:#345; } #profile-container h2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 15px .2em; margin:0; border-width:0; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#234; } } @media handheld { #profile-container { background:#cdc; } #profile-container h2 { background:none; } } .profile-datablock { margin:0 15px .5em; border-top:1px dotted #aba; padding-top:8px; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #fff; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } #profile-container p { margin:0 15px .5em; } #profile-container .profile-textblock { clear:left; } #profile-container a { color:#258; } .profile-link a { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_profile.gif") no-repeat 0 .1em; padding-left:15px; font-weight:bold; } ul.profile-datablock { list-style-type:none; } /* Sidebar Boxes ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .box { background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 15px; padding:10px 0 0; color:#666; } .box2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 13px 8px; } } @media handheld { .box { background:#fff; } .box2 { background:none; } } .sidebar-title { margin:0; padding:0 0 .2em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#333; } .box ul { margin:.5em 0 1.25em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; } .box ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow_sm.gif") no-repeat 2px .25em; margin:0; padding:0 0 3px 16px; margin-bottom:3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #eee; line-height:1.4em; } .box p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; margin:0; padding:15px 0 0; } @media all { #footer div { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #footer div div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #footer div { background:#456; } #footer div div { background:none; } } #footer hr {display:none;} #footer p {margin:0;} #footer a {color:#fff;} /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding:0 15px 0; }

Thursday, January 12, 2012

This One Time, I Was Startled...

Let me set the scene for you...

About six months ago I tucked myself into bed. I was exhausted. My husband was already asleep. I snuggled in and drifted off to sleep. A few hours later I was startled out of my sleep by the sound of the door to our basement slamming and shoes walking across our hardwood floor towards our great room.

I sat straight up and gripped my husband's arm so tightly that I am sure he can still feel it to this day. He asked me what was going on and I told him I thought someone was in our house. I was whispering so no one would hear us. In my mind, I was trying to find an escape route for us to get to our girls' bedrooms and get them out of the house without being noticed.

We sat quietly, for what seemed like forever, listening to see if we could hear any further noises. My heart was beating so loudly that I couldn't hear much else. My husband got up and looked for something that he could possibly use as a weapon if needed. We didn't have anything. (Note to anyone out there who has any bad intentions...we do now!)

I got up and followed my husband with the phone in my hand. We snuck quietly down the stairs. There was not a single light on in our house. It's not the easiest to navigate in the dark for someone who lives here, let alone someone who has never been in it before. I started to duck, bob & weave like you see police officers do in the movies. My husband, meanwhile, walked on big & brave, turning lights on as we scanned the house.

We turned up absolutely nothing! Not one door in our house was open...let alone unlocked. (I am a stickler for locked doors.) Not one thing was out of place...besides the things that I had knocked over while trying to be all spy like.

So, either I took a dream and brought it into my reality or we have a ghost. I'm just thankful that is all it was. As for that night, I never went back to sleep.

Have you ever been startled by a bump in the night?


Mama’s Losin’ It

Labels: ,

21 Comments:

At January 12, 2012 at 7:49 AM , Blogger Gia said...

Hahah, do you mean have I ever kept Boyfriend up with irrational fears?

http://mayorgia.blogspot.com/2012/01/new-years-resolution-fail.html

Yes, yes I have.

 
At January 12, 2012 at 7:56 AM , Blogger Jon said...

I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for this... and his name is Krueger! Get out!!

 
At January 12, 2012 at 9:19 AM , Blogger SisterSister said...

I've had a night like that. My heart was racing so fast for about 10 minutes I'm sure I lost 5 pounds. Glad it was a false alarm .

hi from mk's

 
At January 12, 2012 at 9:26 AM , Blogger Liz Mays said...

Yes! A couple times I've had things fall in the basement and scare the heck out of me!

I'm guessing yours might have been a dream, because the ghost thing is too spooky!

 
At January 12, 2012 at 10:50 AM , Blogger kayerj said...

great story--I've been startled many times in the night. My husband was a principal of a Jr. High and those kids are a little rude. We've been egged, tomatoed, soaped and toilet papered. But luckily no real malicious vandalism. But it is startling to hear things hitting the house in the middle of the night. kaye—the road goes ever ever on

 
At January 12, 2012 at 12:09 PM , Blogger Alison said...

Wow, that's really scary! I always hated hearing noises in the night. Now, I share a driveway with a landscaper and towing company so there are crazy loud noises at all hours of the day and night, especially in winter when it snows.

 
At January 12, 2012 at 1:34 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I am so glad everything was okay!

 
At January 12, 2012 at 2:00 PM , Blogger Mellodee said...

The only time I hear startling noises in my house is when my husband is NOT home! Scares me to death. Luckily he no longer travels out of town for extended trips!

 
At January 12, 2012 at 3:31 PM , Blogger Recovering Supermom said...

Oh, my goodness, you had me on the edge of my seat! I'm so glad it turned out to be nothing. Very well written, I felt like I was living it through you! Eeek!

 
At January 12, 2012 at 3:37 PM , Blogger Shell said...

I hate those noises- I usually only hear them when Hubs is out of town!

 
At January 12, 2012 at 4:25 PM , Blogger Tracy Wilson said...

When I was like 10, I spent 4 hours petrified in the middle of the night, CERTAIN that shadow was an evil something waiting for me to close my eyes...it was my sweater, thrown where I didn't usually put it, over a guitar case.

Yeah, really :)
Tracy

 
At January 12, 2012 at 4:30 PM , Blogger Arnebya said...

I'm w/Shell; I hear those noises more often when I'm alone, and yes there have been times I've heard very distinct walking sounds. And there's nothing. I'm just glad it's always nothing, you know?

 
At January 12, 2012 at 5:18 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

I have awakened from a dream before and it was like the dream and reality were blurring into each other. Translation? I *thought* I awakened to someone standing next to my bed, but when I sat up and focused, they were gone. It was a dream. It was not a ghost. Because that would scare me.

 
At January 12, 2012 at 6:16 PM , Anonymous Galit Breen said...

Ugh! Night noises- so scary and seriously usually feel *so* real!

 
At January 12, 2012 at 10:45 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

Gosh Kristen. Now I'm not going to sleep tonight.

I've had that happen to me. The other night I was startled awake from a dream, and I could have sworn that I saw someone walking into the master bath. Freaked me out. It took me days to convince myself that it was a just a trick of light from the bathroom window.

 
At January 12, 2012 at 11:45 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

I was startled just reading that! Thank goodness nothing ever came of it.

My mom tells a story of when I was little she was giving me a bath in the upstairs bathroom, when we came out there was a stange guy in our living room. My mom froze, I do not remember this story, but that incident startled her...to say the least. He ended up leaving and she called the police.

 
At January 13, 2012 at 12:13 AM , Blogger Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

I'm also creeped out just reading this! I sleep next to my phone so I probably would have called 911 right away.

I've never heard anything like a door slam at night. But one night I was home alone (my kids were sleeping) and I had the worst feeling! I'd never had anything like it before. I double checked all the doors and windows, turned on my lights and kept my mom on the phone for a while. The feeling eventually went away. That was a couple of year ago. Nothing like it since, thankfully.

 
At January 13, 2012 at 12:39 AM , Blogger marie said...

I used to be the biggest scaredy cat and would bring my 3 yr old at the time into bed with me when my husband was out of town. After my 3rd child came along I was way too tired and cranky to worry about bumps in the night. At times I seemed scarier than any burgler could ever be.

 
At January 14, 2012 at 7:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad you are guys are alright. I can't imagine the feeling of thinking someone is in your home.

I have had nights where I wake up from unpleasant dreams and falling back to sleep generally is not an option at that point. I lay there and snuggle up with Keith and the babies and that seems to calm my nerves.

 
At January 15, 2012 at 12:22 PM , Blogger championm2000 said...

Yes! Once hubby and I both woke up...there was no mistaking the noise. Hard to describe what it sounded like but let's just say, it sounded like someone was breaking down the door.

The babies were just newborns. We were sleep-deprived. Hubby grabs our "protection" and we both creep down the stairs, ready to blast our intruders if that's what it takes to save us and the twins!

Imagine how stupid we felt when we found the culprit...a helium "Congrats" balloon that had gotten loose and was caught in the ceiling fan! Duh!

 
At January 15, 2012 at 10:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

KP, i love when you hold me that tight, so i dont mind if you hear more bumps in the night. I'm looking forward to you writing about the time when the bump was not imagined. And we do have a ghost, althoughg he hasn't been around in a while. Love, sme.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home