This Page

has been moved to new address

I'm Learning A Lot About Myself Through 11 Field Hockey Players

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#aba; margin:0; padding:20px 10px; text-align:center; font:x-small/1.5em "Trebuchet MS",Verdana,Arial,Sans-serif; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } /* Page Structure ----------------------------------------------- */ /* The images which help create rounded corners depend on the following widths and measurements. If you want to change these measurements, the images will also need to change. */ @media all { #content { width:740px; margin:0 auto; text-align:left; } #main { width:485px; float:left; background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:15px 0 0; padding:0 0 10px; color:#000; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } #main2 { float:left; width:100%; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 0 0; } #main3 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/rails_main.gif") repeat-y; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:240px; float:right; margin:15px 0 0; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; background:#fff; } #main2 { float:none; background:none; } #main3 { background:none; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Links ----------------------------------------------- */ a:link { color:#258; } a:visited { color:#666; } a:hover { color:#c63; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Blog Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 0; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #header div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #header { background:#456; } #header div { background:none; } } #blog-title { margin:0; padding:10px 30px 5px; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; } #blog-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#fff; } #description { margin:0; padding:5px 30px 10px; font-size:94%; line-height:1.5em; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 28px 0 43px; font-size:85%; line-height:2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#357; } .post { margin:.3em 0 25px; padding:0 13px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px 0; } .post-title { margin:0; font-size:135%; line-height:1.5em; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow.gif") no-repeat 10px .5em; display:block; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; color:#333; } a.title-link, .post-title strong { text-decoration:none; display:block; } a.title-link:hover { background-color:#ded; color:#000; } .post-body { border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; border-bottom-color:#fff; padding:10px 14px 1px 29px; } html>body .post-body { border-bottom-width:0; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { background:#ded; margin:0; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px; border-bottom:1px solid #eee; font-size:100%; line-height:1.5em; color:#666; text-align:right; } html>body p.post-footer { border-bottom-color:transparent; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ccc; } blockquote { margin:.75em 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:1px 0; padding:5px 15px; color:#666; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:-25px 13px 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:20px 0 15px 0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; padding:0 14px 2px 29px; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; font-size:120%; line-height:1.4em; color:#333; } #comments-block { margin:0 15px 0 9px; } .comment-data { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .3em; margin:.5em 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; color:#666; } .comment-poster { font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0 0 1.25em; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#666; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#666; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #profile-container { background:#cdc url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 0 15px; padding:0 0 10px; color:#345; } #profile-container h2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 15px .2em; margin:0; border-width:0; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#234; } } @media handheld { #profile-container { background:#cdc; } #profile-container h2 { background:none; } } .profile-datablock { margin:0 15px .5em; border-top:1px dotted #aba; padding-top:8px; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #fff; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } #profile-container p { margin:0 15px .5em; } #profile-container .profile-textblock { clear:left; } #profile-container a { color:#258; } .profile-link a { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_profile.gif") no-repeat 0 .1em; padding-left:15px; font-weight:bold; } ul.profile-datablock { list-style-type:none; } /* Sidebar Boxes ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .box { background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 15px; padding:10px 0 0; color:#666; } .box2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 13px 8px; } } @media handheld { .box { background:#fff; } .box2 { background:none; } } .sidebar-title { margin:0; padding:0 0 .2em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#333; } .box ul { margin:.5em 0 1.25em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; } .box ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow_sm.gif") no-repeat 2px .25em; margin:0; padding:0 0 3px 16px; margin-bottom:3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #eee; line-height:1.4em; } .box p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; margin:0; padding:15px 0 0; } @media all { #footer div { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #footer div div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #footer div { background:#456; } #footer div div { background:none; } } #footer hr {display:none;} #footer p {margin:0;} #footer a {color:#fff;} /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding:0 15px 0; }

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

I'm Learning A Lot About Myself Through 11 Field Hockey Players

I wrote a post a couple weeks ago about how I love field hockey. The more that I coach the eleven girls on my team the more I learn about myself.


On the turf before a game
I have never been the person who thought they could be a teacher. I'm not a fan of being in a room with 20 or more kids and trying to keep them focused. Not because they are just plain noisy, but because I don't think I am the person who could grab their attention, hold on to it and teach them what they need to make it to the next grade. When I was little and would play "school", I would only have one stuffed animal as my student...MAXIMUM! I can clearly remember trying to teach Mickey Mouse and finding it difficult. (Most of the time it just turned into an art class.)

Spending two evenings a week and at least one game on the weekend throughout our season has helped me feel a bit more confident though. It still surprises me when I watch one of my team members, notice what they are doing incorrectly or could use improvement on, instruct them how to correct or improve on it and then watch them carry it out. I can't believe I am the person who is helping them grow in this game I love so much.

Coaching from the sidelines

I will be very honest about another thing coaching has changed for me as well. I used to be one of those parents that would get excited when I saw rain in the forecast and would hope it would be enough to cancel practice. Not because I didn't want my girls to actually go but because I was tired and had a million and one things to do and felt relief when I didn't have to take them to practice. I know...bad mommy! But here I am to tell you that being on the coaching side of it, I see all of the positives for not only all of the girls on my team but for my daughter as well.

Not only is she getting out all of that stored up energy from a long day at school, sitting behind a desk but she is also socializing and feeling like she is a part of something. Something special that makes her very happy! I don't want to ever take that away from her just because I don't feel like driving her and giving up an hour and a half of my day. That hour and half is important to her and from the excitement on the rest of the girls' faces...I can see it is important to them too.


Lined up after a game with a smile on my face
I've also learned that my heart has so much more love to give than I ever knew was possible. Each of the eleven girls on my team have touched my heart. I can truly say that I would do anything to help any of them if they needed me. These eleven girls fill my week with happiness, laughter, craziness, chit-chat and fun.

We only have two and a half weeks left in the season and I am going to use the other lesson I have learned very wisely. I am going to slow down, enjoy the moments, take lots of photos and show these girls that I believe in them...because I do!

What have you been involved in that has helped you learn more about yourself?


I'm linking up with Shell for her Pour Your Heart Out post. If you haven't stopped by her blog...you should. Today's post gave me goosebumps!





Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At October 12, 2011 at 1:46 PM , Blogger Shell said...

I'm so totally guilty of being that mom who hopes for rain. I may have celebrated a bit last night when my boys' practice was canceled.

Sounds like you love coaching! I loved teaching... maybe I'll go back some day.

 
At October 12, 2011 at 6:31 PM , Blogger Robbie K said...

Glad you are finding it so fullfilling! I wouldn't know the first thing about field hockey. I take it you played before?

 
At October 13, 2011 at 7:52 AM , Blogger Jon said...

A message for Ashley: if she's ready for the answer, tell her it is "harbor seal." Which would become "arboreal"... she'll know.

 
At October 13, 2011 at 10:34 PM , Anonymous Galit Breen said...

This is so important! You're setting such an amazing example- to your children and to me! :)

 
At October 13, 2011 at 11:19 PM , Blogger The Preppy Girl in Pink said...

I appreciate all of the comments. Believe me when I say...I have caught the coaching bug and I wouldn't take a vaccine for it if they paid me :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home